Monday, October 24, 2011

e-YWM Alert #19- Year End Retirement Planning Moves

Over the next few weeks we will be sending a series of emails regarding different tax planning strategies that can be implemented before year end. These emails are overviews of often complicated strategies. If you feel one of these may be of use to you or you have questions about any of them please contact us.
Below please find a number of strategies related to the use of Retirement Plan's as a tax strategy. Additional information on Roth to IRA conversions can be found at our e-alert archives at  in E-Alert #5 sent in November of 2010.

Roth Conversion:

Taxpayers may convert funds in traditional IRAs to Roth IRAs regardless of their income level.
Individuals considering whether to roll over or convert for 2011 should keep in mind that unlike the usual IRA rollover, a switch from traditional IRA or qualified plan to a Roth IRA is not income tax free. Instead, it is subject to tax as if it were distributed from the traditional IRA or qualified plan and not recontributed to another IRA.  However this rollover to a Roth IRA is not subject to the 10% premature distribution tax.
Why make a traditional IRA-to-Roth IRA conversion? Roth IRAs have two major advantages over traditional IRAs:
(1) Distributions from traditional IRAs are taxed as ordinary income (except to the extent they represent nondeductible contributions). By contrast, Roth IRA distributions are tax-free if they are "qualified distributions".
(2) Traditional IRAs are subject to the lifetime required minimum distribution (RMD) rules that generally require minimum annual distributions to be made commencing in the year following the year in which the IRA owner attains age 70 ½. By contrast, Roth IRAs aren't subject to the lifetime RMD rules that apply to traditional IRAs (as well as individual account qualified plans).
There are other tax advantages: Because distributions from Roth IRAs are tax-free such distributions:
  • may keep a taxpayer from being taxed in a higher tax bracket that would otherwise apply if they were withdrawing taxable distributions,
  • don't enter into the calculation of tax owed on Social Security payments, and have no effect on AGI-based deductions.  
  • Allow the benefits of a Roth IRA to flow through to beneficiaries of Roth IRA accounts, who also can make tax-free withdrawals from such accounts (they are, however, subject to the same annual post-death minimum distribution rules that apply to beneficiaries of traditional IRAs).
Who should make traditional IRA-to-Roth IRA conversions? The consensus view is that the conversion route should be considered by taxpayers who:
1. Have a number of years to go before retirement (and are therefore able to recoup the dollars that are lost to taxes on account of the conversion);
2. Anticipate being taxed in a higher bracket in the future than they are now; and
3. Can pay the tax on the conversion from non-retirement-account assets (otherwise, there will be a smaller buildup of tax-free earnings in the depleted retirement account).
Timing of rollover/conversion. A conversion from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA is taxed in 2011 if it takes place before the end of the year. As far as rollovers are concerned, even though a distribution in 2011 from a traditional IRA is taxed in that year, the distributee has 60 days to roll over the distribution to a Roth IRA even if the rollover isn't completed until 2012
Backing out. A taxpayer who rolled over or converted from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA earlier in 2011 may find that the move wasn't wise after all because the Roth IRA account has declined in value. The taxpayer can back out of the transaction by recharacterizing the rollover or conversion, i.e., transferring the converted amount (plus earnings, or minus losses) from the Roth IRA back to a traditional IRA via a trustee-to-trustee transfer. This must be done by the due date of the return (including extensions) for the year of conversion.  So for 2011, you have until October 15, 2012 if you extend your return to redo the conversion.

Losses on Investments held by Roth IRAs.
Losses on investments held within a Roth IRA aren't recognized when the losses are incurred. However, if the taxpayer liquidates all of his Roth IRAs, a loss is recognized if the amounts distributed are less than his unrecovered basis, namely his regular and conversion contributions, all of which are nondeductible contributions. The loss is an ordinary loss but it can only be claimed as a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2%-of-AGI floor.

Example: Early in 2011, Anne, a single taxpayer who is age 60, converted her traditional IRA with a $50,000 balance into a Roth IRA and invested the money in an aggressive growth fund. The traditional IRA was funded entirely with deductible contributions. Now the Roth IRA is worth only $25,000. A rough estimate for the year shows that Anne will have $100,000 of AGI and taxable income of $80,000 without factoring in the loss, putting her in the 25% tax bracket for 2011. Anne sees little hope for a recovery of the investment in the near future. She has no other Roth IRAs.
If Anne liquidates her Roth IRA (and has no other miscellaneous itemized deductions), she can claim $23,000 of the loss as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A, Form 1040 ($25,000 less $2,000, which is 2% of her $100,000 AGI). The deduction will mean $5,750 in tax savings for Anne (25% of $23,000). In essence, that cuts her economic loss to $19,250 ($25,000 loss less $5,750 tax savings).

Caution: The tax savings may diminish (or even disappear) if the taxpayer is subject to the alternative minimum tax (AMT). That's because miscellaneous itemized deductions can't be claimed for purposes of calculating the AMT. Additionally Taxpayers who are thinking of liquidating their Roth IRAs should keep in mind that they will be giving up the opportunity to eventually withdraw any future gains tax-free.
Unexpected tax trap for Roth IRA owners. For IRA owners that made a traditional-IRA-to-Roth-IRA a 10% premature withdrawal penalty tax applies if the owner withdraws converted amounts within the five-tax-year-period beginning with the tax year in which the conversion took place. Because the penalty tax applies to a distribution to the extent that the converted amount was taxable when the conversion took place, a taxpayer could wind up paying a penalty tax even though none of the distribution is includable in income.

Self-employeds should establish a retirement plan before year-end.
A self-employed person who wants to contribute to a Keogh plan for 2011 must establish that plan before the end of 2011. If that is done, deductible contributions for 2011 can be made as late as the taxpayer's extended tax return due date for 2011. However, a self-employed person who misses the year-end deadline to establish a Keogh plan has until his extended 2011 return due date both to establish and to make deductible contributions to a Simplified Employee Pension (SEP) for 2011. Keogh plans, however, can be designed to provide more flexibility for a self-employed business owner than a SEP can provide. 

All information presented above is generic, if you would like to know how this may be applied to your specific situation please give us a call at 303-792-3020 or reply directly to this email.  Additional resources are always available at our website,

Thursday, October 13, 2011

e-YWM Alert #18- Expiring Tax Provisions

Although it is only August, there are a number of tax breaks that are scheduled to expire on December 31, 2011 that you may want to consider in performing your year-end tax planning or in preparing your annual budgets. If these credits are allowed to expire it may provide an incentive to move certain expenditures to the 2011 tax year in order to take advantage of the tax breaks
currently allowed. A list of some of the most pertinent credits/deductions that are schedule to expire as of December 31, 2011 can be found below:

Research credit. The research credit only applies for amounts paid or accrued before Jan. 1, 2012. This credit applies to taxpayer's expenditures on qualified energy research undertaken by an energy research consortium.

Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC). The WOTC allows employers who hire members of certain targeted groups to get a credit against income tax of a percentage of first-year wages up to $6,000 per employee ($12,000 for qualified veterans; and $3,000 for qualified summer youth employees). The term "wages" for WOTC purposes doesn't include any amount paid or incurred for an individual who begins work after Dec. 31, 2011.

New energy efficient home credit. An eligible contractor can claim a credit of $2,000 or $1,000 for each qualified new energy efficient home either constructed by the contractor or acquired by a person from the contractor for use as a residence during the tax year. The credit won't apply to homes acquired after Dec. 31, 2011.

100% bonus depreciation. The 100% bonus depreciation allowance applies only for qualified property acquired and placed in service after Sept. 8, 2010 and before Jan. 1, 2012. For qualified property acquired and placed in service after Dec. 31, 2011 and before Jan. 1, 2013, a 50% bonus depreciation allowance will apply.

Expensing allowance. The maximum amount that may be expensed under Code Sec. 179 for tax years beginning in 2010 or 2011 is $500,000. For tax years beginning in 2012, the maximum amount will be $125,000. For tax years beginning in 2010 and 2011, the maximum annual expensing amount generally is reduced dollar-for-dollar by the amount of section 179 property placed in service during the tax year in excess of $2,000,000. For tax years beginning in 2012, the investment ceiling will be $500,000.

Empowerment Zone tax breaks. The designation of an economically depressed census tract as an "Empowerment Zone" makes businesses and individual residents within such a Zone eligible for special tax incentives. Empowerment Zone designations expire on Dec. 31, 2011.

Percentage depletion. For tax years beginning after Dec. 31, 2008, and before Jan. 1, 2012, the 100%-of-taxable-income limitation of percentage depletion for oil and gas from marginal wells applicable to independent producers and royalty holders owning interests in marginal wells is suspended. For tax years beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2012, the 100% of the taxable income limit returns for marginal wells.

These are just a small number of the changes that may come into play in 2012. Given the current political climate it is likely that there are many changes to come during the 2012 tax year. If you have any questions about how these changes may affect you or the best way to take advantage of the current tax laws please do not hesitate to contact us.

e-YWM Alert #17- Mileage Rate Increased to 55.5 cents

Due to recent gasoline price increases the Internal Revenue Service announced today that there will be an increase in the optional standard mileage rates to 55.5 cents a mile for the final 6 months of 2011. The optional standard mileage rate is used to compute the deductible costs of operating an automobile for business use in lieu of tracking actual costs. This rate is also used as a benchmark by the federal government and many businesses to reimburse their employees for mileage. Taxpayers always have the option of calculating actual costs rather than utilizing these standard mileage rates.

Beginning July 1, 2011 the rate will increase 4.5 cents from the 51 cent rate in effect for the first six months of 2011. This increase will also apply to deductible medical or moving expenses which will be increased from the 19 cents used in the first six months of 2011 to 23.5 cents for the remainder of the year. Charitable miles remain unchanged.

For those of you who use the standard mileage rate, please be sure to track your miles for
January-June separately from the miles in July-December.

The table below summarizes the rates in effect for 2011:

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

All information presented above is generic, if you would like to know how this may be applied to your specific situation please give us a call at 303-792-3020 or reply directly to this email. Additional resources are always available at our website


The information contained in this website is for general information purposes only. The information is provided by Yanari Watson McGaughey P.C. and while we endeavour to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.

Through this website you are able to link to other websites which are not under the control of Yanari Watson McGaughey P.C. We have no control over the nature, content and availability of those sites. The inclusion of any links does not necessarily imply a recommendation or endorse the views expressed within them.


Free Counters
Free Counters